Business Development Manager
About Paper Lantern
Paper Lantern Distilling is a boutique craft spirits company with headquarters located in Singapore. Born out of the inspiration to celebrate the tastes and flavours of Asia, our company’s flagship product is Paper Lantern Gin.
We have an opening for a Business Development Manager to join our growing team.
The Craft Spirit industry is growing rapidly across Asia, so there will be many opportunities to grow with the company in the future. You’ll be working alongside the Managing Director to help shape an emerging spirits brand and guide the business to the next level.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial minded self-starter comfortable with working in a start-up environment. This role will be responsible for driving the success of the existing accounts in Singapore, market expansion in the APAC region and coordinating marketing, advertising, and promotional activities for the brand. An ideal candidate can work with minimal direction, can meet deliverable timelines and operate with a focus on both long-term strategy and short-term execution. Given the customer facing elements of the role, the Business Development Manager must have good written and verbal skills, be comfortable speaking in front of an audience and have the ability to communicate concepts and ideas with ease. Knowledge of the spirits and hospitality industry is a plus, but a passion for learning more about both is required. The role will help manage growth within the region, so there may be requirements to support events in nearby countries such as Hong Kong, Australia, China, etc.
Regional Sales Expansion
- Develop road-to-market strategy in each potential market including but not limited to competitive analysis, key players in the Hotels, Restaurant, Catering (HoReCa) and Modern On-trade (MOT) channels
- Identify and secure distribution in each target market
- For markets with distribution, manage the trade relations including visits to grow accounts
- Analyse and manage A&P spend with distributors to ensure maximum and efficient use of budget
- Train current and new distributors’ sales teams on the brand, product, spirit culture and marketing techniques
Singapore Sales and Events
- Weekly market visits to existing accounts to drive increases in sales and to potential new accounts to secure listings on spirit menus and in cocktails
- Develop and organize events for top performing accounts
- Assist with developing the on-trade community through spirits competitions, lunches, events
- Take lead on organizing Paper Lantern presence in key annual events such as SGCF and Boutiques Fair
- Contribute to increasing brand visibility through securing PR coverage and participating in key events
General Market Support and Analysis
- Implement a repeatable structure for each type of end-customer including but not limited to master classes and tastings
- Create a community of bartenders and work with them on an as-needed basis for cocktail creation, guest shifts, cocktail making classes etc
- Conducting regular reviews of sales and performance to ensure marketing and promotional activities increase business growth
- Manage A&P, PNL, promotions and sponsorship ROIs
- Act as Brand Ambassador at events, tastings, conventions, trade shows
You must be:
- Inquisitive and analytical
- Willing to take initiative and not be afraid to try new things
- Able to function autonomously and within a lean organisation
- Able to think creatively, possess good eye for visual aesthetics
- Flexible to adapt to change and able to pivot quickly
- Comfortable with cold calls and sales visits
- Located in Singapore but able to travel within the APAC region
- Able to represent the brand values and carry yourself with the Paper Lantern ethos
5-10 years in the spirits would be beneficial but not critical. Appropriate training will be provided in necessary areas.
Please send your CV to email@example.com