There are nights worth going out, and there are nights when we’d rather chill at home. On those nights when you’d rather stay in, you can still enjoy meaningful conversations with friends and family over some delicious cocktails.
Mixing cocktails at home isn’t as hard as it sounds.
It may seem a lot of effort, but you’ll be surprised how entertaining it can be! We’re going to help you put together your very own home bar but not your typical one – we’re going to enjoy cocktails at home in tropical style! Plus, we’ve simplified the steps to help you get started! Get ready to shake your way into creating delicious Asian cocktails with these five easy steps.
P.S. Do you always forget to buy stuff? We have a monthly subscription program, so you don’t have to worry about running low on Paper Lantern Gin.
1. Essential Spirits
Without bias and on top of our list is, of course, gin *wink wink. Specifically, Paper Lantern Gin. You will get all the tropical flavors you need, plus this is the perfect base to make countless Asian cocktails. Head on to our Shop to make sure you have stock. Besides our apparent favorite spirit, we also recommend that you stock a few good bottles of other spirits. Another plus – we are sharing with you some of the brands that we love. We did some research on other Asian brands, so you experience the complete tropical experience.
- Vodka – Mekong Vodka made in Cambodia
- Rum – Samai Rum (Cambodia) and Chalong Bay (Thailand)
- Whisky – Japan has a list of good whiskies that you might love.
- Brandy – The Philippines has some good brandy too, check it out here.
- Sweet and Dry Vermouth
- Maraschino Liqueur
We took inspiration from 12 Bottle Bar by David and Lesley Solmonson in putting together the list. They mention a lot more in their book but don’t worry; you can start with two or three bottles just to get you going. Start with your favorite base spirits, and you can always add more along the way.
2. The Basic Bar Tools
Once you have stock of your favorite spirits, you’re one step closer to making delicious cocktails. Remember, you can always add more tools as you develop your skills, but we think that these are the five essential tools that will help you get started:
- Cocktail Shaker
- Mixing Glass
- Bar Spoon
Check out the 5 MUST HAVE TOOLS FOR YOUR HOME BAR! You will discover our best shopping recommendations on where to find them in Singapore too!
3. The Vessel For Your Drinks
It’s time to mix and match! We’re not a stickler here but do note that certain cocktails call for specific glassware. This is to bring out the flavors of the drink. When you’re unsure where to start, try to acquire a few of the ones below, which can hold a variety of cocktails:
- Rocks Glass
- Wine Glasses
- Cocktail Glass
- Shot Glass
Aside from bar tools, EC Proof also has a selection of premium glassware. We especially love the coupe glass as it instantly adds an elegant feel to the drink.
4. Easy Cocktails to Try
Finally, let’s make some cocktails! Here are a few simple tricks to add that tropical flavor to your cocktails:
- Use local ingredients as garnishes to your drink. We love cracked kaffir lime leaves and ginger in our G&T. A stalk of lemongrass also works well! Alternatively, we love the flavor of fresh frozen mangoes with a bit of cracked peppercorn.
- Infuse your syrups with lemongrass. Here’s a simple recipe!
Of course, we will help you get started mixing a few drinks! Try these 5 Asian Cocktails We Love! Very simple and much enjoyed by us!
5. Adding The Tropical Vibe
To complete the tropical experience, we’ll help you add a few tropical bits and pieces to your home bar!
- Use bamboo straws instead of the regular ones.
- Enjoy cocktails in the tropics with a Capiz spoon and coaster set. We have limited supplies of these two items, so head on to our Shop before they’re gone!
- We love the furniture from Layard Interiors, too. Give them a visit whenever you can.
- Plus, the AC Boutique has a curated collection of local brands that have beautiful Asian pieces.
- Last but not least, we found these fun pineapple lights at the Trading Post!
We hope these five simple steps would inspire you to put up your tropical home bar. For a detailed guide, download the Ultimate Home Bar Starter Kit! We can’t wait until you start shaking and mixing your favorite cocktails using Paper Lantern Gin! Don’t forget to tag us @drinkpaperlantern because we’d love to share your moments!
If you have a tight space, why don’t you check out this Guide To Setting Up A Bar In A Tight Space.